Position: ERCC – Patient Care Assistant
Department: Emergency and Critical Care
Reports to: Patient Care Assistant Supervisor
This position is primarily responsible for providing support to the Doctors and Technicians of the ICU and the Emergency and Critical Care Service. Duties will include admitting emergent patients, assisting with triaging, restraint for procedures, monitoring patients, creating consent forms and estimates, and discharging patients. The Emergency Service is fast-paced, detail orientated and deals with critical situations. An ideal Emergency PCA candidate will have a calm and level-headed demeanor, and have strong problem-solving skills in stressful situations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the admission and discharge of patients, creating consent forms and estimates, taking deposits/final payments.
- Documents and maintains proper medical record keeping.
- Triage Emergency Line phone calls.
- Assists doctors and technicians with patient triage on presentation, examinations, diagnostics, treatments, and procedures.
- Ensures all client documentation is complete and updated (Forms and Logs).
- Updates and tracks submitted lab samples and advises the doctor when results are received
- Ensures all invoices are updated for patients.
- Provides clients with daily invoice updates, collects further deposits when necessary, and advises ERCC Doctors when daily charges are nearing estimate.
- Assists Technicians with initial diagnostics and treatments.
- Documents patient information in preparation for final invoice
- Keeps emergency area clean, stocked and prepared for emergencies (following shift checklist).
- Ensures all equipment in the Emergency area is properly maintained.
- Handling euthanasia related tasks (consent, billing, aftercare, post-euthanasia paperwork).
- Communicates with clients as directed by the ERCC Doctor or Technician and documents all communication in patient files.
- Assisting in the ICU with patient care and animal husbandry.
- As a member of the overall CWVS team, you may be required to assist in other areas of the hospital if your service is not in need of you or if the Service Doctor is away. This could involve working any shift within the twenty-four hour operating day of the hospital, including weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Ability to recognize and establish priorities and to respond efficiently and effectively under stress
- Strong organizational skills.
- Consistent high level of attention to detail.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional client service skills.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated mastery of the documentation required for admission, discharge, preparation of estimates and invoices, taking deposits etc.
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility in the ERCC Service.
- Completion of a recognized training program for veterinary assistants preferred, or an equivalent level of training and experience.
Hours of Work
- This position includes both Day shifts and Evening shifts. The rotation will be 4×10’s with the occasional 5×8’s according to hospital need.
The breakdown of the required shifts are as follows:
• 07:00 – 17:30
• 08:00 – 18:30
• 12:00 – 22:30
• 15:00 – 01:30
Please visit Indeed to see all available roles. To apply for an opportunity, please email your Cover Letter and Resume to Human Resources: ([email protected]) ebaergen (at) canadawestvets (dot) com, Attn. Ellie Baergen