Position: Patient Care Assistant – Level 1
Department: Wards and ICU
Reports to: Assistant Supervisor
Patient Care Assistants provide support to the Technicians and Veterinarians and basic care for patients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for basic animal husbandry for patients in Wards and ICU – water, food, walks, grooming, bathing, etc.
- Ensures that all kennels are cleaned, disinfected and properly maintained with clean bedding for patients
- Assists in the restraint of patients so that veterinarians and technicians can perform procedures and treatments effectively and efficiently, including but not limited to blood collection, administration of medication, chemotherapy treatments and radiographic studies. May be asked to administer treatments under the supervision of the doctor or technician on duty.
- Will learn, understand and apply protocols applicable to handling with potentially infectious and/or zoonotic diseases.
- May be asked to assist in patient monitoring under the supervision of a veterinarian or technician.
- Facilitates admissions, including data entry of client/patient information and receipt of deposits. Upon discharge of patients, may be required to take final payment. Answers phones in wards and ICU when needed.
- When needed, ensures that all supply orders are unpacked, inventory placed in designated storage areas and that all invoices are delivered appropriately.
- Ensures that floors and surfaces in Wards/ICU and Isolation are properly cleaned and disinfected.
- Ensures that Wards/ICU/Isolation supplies are maintained throughout each shift.
- Must be available to weekdays and weekends and day, evening and overnight shifts in rotation.
Other duties as assigned
Interested applicants please submit resume to (Sandy Sun, HR Generalist) ssun (at) canadawestvets (dot) com