Canada West Veterinary Specialists is an exciting full-service multi-disciplinary specialty referral practice with a dedicated 24-hour ERCC service.
We are currently recruiting for full-time Patient Care Assistants (PCAs) to join our team! You can look forward to continuous learning, unique cases within a highly dynamic, specialty environment, and growth through Canada West’s very own development program.
This position is primarily responsible for providing support to the Technicians and Veterinarians and providing basic care for patients.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Responsible for basic animal husbandry for patients in Wards and ICU – water, food, walks, grooming, bathing etc.
- Ensures that all kennels are cleaned, disinfected and properly maintained with clean bedding for patients.
- Assists in the restraint of patients so that veterinarians and technicians can perform procedures and treatments effectively and efficiently, including but not limited to blood collection, administration of medication, chemotherapy treatments and radiographic studies. May be asked to administer treatments under the supervision of the doctor or technician on duty.
- Will learn, understand and apply protocols applicable to handling with potentially infectious and/or zoonotic diseases.
- May be asked to assist in patient monitoring under the supervision of a veterinarian or technician.
- Facilitates admissions included data entry of client/patient information and receipt of deposits. Upon discharge of patients, may be required to take final payment. Answers phones in wards and ICU when needed.
- Responsible for training new PCA’s as part of the onboarding process.
- When needed, ensures that all supply orders are unpacked, inventory placed in designated storage areas and that all invoices are delivered appropriately.
- Ensures that floors and surfaces in Wards/ICU and Isolation are properly cleaned and disinfected.
- Ensures that Wards/ICU/Isolation supplies are maintained throughout each shift.
- Must be available to weekdays and weekends and day, evening and overnight shifts in rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Veterinary Office Assistant Certification preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills, computer and phone skills.
- High level of professionalism.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A strong desire to learn and to excel within the profession.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
The typical 10-hour shifts are:
- Days: 7am-5:30pm
- Evenings: 3pm -1:30am
- Overnights: 10:30pm – 9am.
- We offer shift premiums for both Weekday and Weekend Evenings and Overnight shifts.
An ideal candidate would be available to work rotational shifts including weekends, nights, & overnights, have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Wages start at $20.00/hour for new graduates
- We grow together with our monthly in-house Continuing Education presentations
- Subsidized extended health benefits
- 5 paid sick days per year
- Uniform allowance per year
- Wellness Spending account
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance for 2 pets.
- We have a quarterly bonus structure to recognize our staff’s contributions for our success.
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs.
- We believe in recognizing our staff with an anniversary recognition program.
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc.