Position: Wards/ICU – Patient Care Assistant
Reports to: Patient Care Assistant Supervisor
Canada West Veterinary Specialists is a full-service veterinary hospital providing specialist veterinary care and 24-hour Emergency service. Our hospital functions similar to a large full-service human hospital. We have 7 specialty departments with a large team of veterinary specialists and support staff of just over 150 staff members. Our primary goal is to provide optimal medical, surgical, and rehabilitation support and care to our patients, fostering the bonds between owners and their pets and between ourselves and our referring clinicians.
Patient Care Assistants provide support to the Technicians and Veterinarians and basic care for patients.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for basic animal husbandry for patients in Wards and ICU – water, food, walks, grooming, bathing etc.
- Ensures that all kennels are cleaned, disinfected and properly maintained with clean bedding for patients
- Assists in the restraint of patients so that veterinarians and technicians can perform procedures and treatments effectively and efficiently, including but not limited to blood collection, administration of medication, chemotherapy treatments and radiographic studies. May be asked to administer treatments under the supervision of the doctor or technician on duty.
- Will learn, understand and apply protocols applicable to handling with potentially infectious and/or zoonotic diseases.
- May be asked to assist in patient monitoring under the supervision of a veterinarian or technician.
- Facilitates admissions included data entry of client/patient information and receipt of deposits. Upon discharge of patients, may be required to take final payment. Answers phones in wards and ICU when needed.
- When needed, ensures that all supply orders are unpacked, inventory placed in designated storage areas and that all invoices are delivered appropriately.
- Ensures that floors and surfaces in Wards/ICU and Isolation are properly cleaned and disinfected.
- Ensures that Wards/ICU/Isolation supplies are maintained throughout each shift.
- Must be available to weekdays and weekends and day, evening and overnight shifts in rotation.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Veterinary Office Assistant Certification preferred, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
- Strong attention to detail
- A strong desire to learn and to excel within the profession
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Hours of Work
- The typical 10hr shifts are Days: 7am-5:30pm. Evenings: 3pm -1:30am. Overnights: 10:30pm – 9am.
- We offer shift premiums for both Week day and Weekend Evenings and Overnight shifts.
An ideal candidate would be available to work rotational shifts including weekends, nights, & overnights, have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
Please visit Indeed to see all available roles. To apply for an opportunity, please email your Cover Letter and Resume to Human Resources: ([email protected]) ebaergen (at) canadawestvets (dot) com, Attn. Ellie Baergen