Canada West has pioneered the provision in Canada of multi-disciplinary veterinary specialist care combined with a dedicated 24 hour hospital facility that is supervised by critical care specialists.
We have been in operation since 1997 and have steadily grown to our current staff complement of approximately 115 individuals.
Assignments of Note
- We are the disaster response center for animals for Greater Vancouver;
- We are a dedicated “sentinel site” for the BC Centre for Disease Control;
- We regularly assist the Vancouver Aquarium on a variety of specialized care issues;
- We regularly treat police and service dogs from a variety of municipalities;
- We train the Delta Police Dog Unit on canine emergency care;
Unique Staff Designations
We are the only specialty hospital in BC with:
- Board-certified Critical Care Doctors;
- A board-certified Interventional Cardiologist;
- The only clinician in Canada who is board-certified in Neurology and in Surgery;
- Board-certified veterinary technicians in Anesthesia, Internal Medicine and Emergency & Critical Care.
- Three specialists who have board-certification in both European and American specialty colleges.
- We are the largest veterinary referral hospital in Metro Vancouver;
- We have one of the only in-house MRIs in Western Canada;
- We have an in-house 64-slice CT scanner;
- We have the only EMG machine for evaluating neuromuscular disease in Western Canada;
- We have the only dedicated Intensive Care Unit (ICU) staffed 24-hours a day.