Veterinary internal medicine specialists (internists) have the training, expertise and technology to diagnose and treat any “internal” medical problem a patient might have, from the common to the rare and from the simple to the complex. A family vet may call upon them for help with cases that are puzzling diagnostic challenges, or with patients that have multiple conditions or serious long-term illnesses.
These issues include digestive, hepatic, respiratory, urinary, immune-mediated, hematological, and endocrine diseases.Read more
What specialized medical procedures do the Internists at Canada West perform?
Our Internists are proficient at specialized medical procedures including:
- Bronchoscopy and bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL)
- Esophagoscopy and esophageal balloon dilation
- Foreign body retrieval
- Endoscopic gastrostomy tube placement
- Transtracheal wash
- Joint taps
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Stents (tracheal, urethral, ureteral)
Our Internists also work closely with board-certified radiologists to provide specialized diagnostics including:
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Specialized contrast procedures