Position: Veterinary Technician
Canada West Veterinary Specialists is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC. We are a 24/7 full service veterinary hospital providing specialist veterinary care. We are currently recruiting for Full-Time a self-motivated, organized and patient-orientated, Veterinary Technician (Animal Health Technician) to join our team. An ideal candidate would have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
This position is primarily responsible for patient care including following treatment plans, administration of drugs, monitoring for vital signs and over-all patient assessment. Client communication is an integral part of this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Willing to develop a thorough understanding of all procedures and protocols, and use all equipment safely and effectively
- Be able to perform technical nursing skills
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients
- Ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during rounds.
- Communicate effectively with primary Doctor or Hospitalist provide timely alerts of any changes or concerns.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Doctor.
- Good knowledge of the common drugs/medications.
- Must develop knowledge and understanding of the common procedures, illnesses and treatments performed at CWVS.
- Ensures supply inventory is sufficient and the work area is kept clean and organized.
- Responsible for providing guidance and delegating appropriate tasks to Patient Care Assistants on shift
- Help facilitate a positive work environment.
- Participates in offered in house CE
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- Ability to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
- We offer competitive wages and generous shift premiums for evening and overnight shifts
- We have a profit sharing program to recognize our staff’s contributions for our success.
- We believe in your well-being and provide a company sponsored Employee Assistance Program (EAP) enabling access to caring professionals that can help access support related to fitness, physical health and mental well-being programs.
- We provide employer paid Pet insurance to our employees.
- We believe in recognizing our staff with an anniversary recognition program.
- We offer extended health benefits, paid sick days and a uniform allowance
- We grow together with our monthly in-house CEs.
- We have fun together with our hospital sponsored social events like; having Food Trucks visit us onsite, Halloween pumpkin carving contests, Annual Christmas Party, Pub Nights, etc.
Candidate must be available to work rotational shifts which may require working on weekends, nights, & overnights.
Interested applicants please submit resume to Ellie Baergen, Human Resources Generalist, at ([email protected]) careers (at) canadawestvets (dot) com.