Position: Veterinary Technician
Canada West Veterinary Specialists is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC. We are a 24/7 full service veterinary hospital providing specialist veterinary care. We are currently recruiting for Full-Time a self-motivated, organized and patient-orientated, Veterinary Technician (Animal Health Technician) to join our team. An ideal candidate would have a can-do attitude and passion for animal care.
This position is primarily responsible for patient care including following treatment plans, administration of drugs, monitoring for vital signs and over-all patient assessment. Client communication is an integral part of this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Willing to develop a thorough understanding of all procedures and protocols, and use all equipment safely and effectively
- Be able to perform technical nursing skills
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients
- Ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during rounds.
- Communicate effectively with primary Doctor or Hospitalist provide timely alerts of any changes or concerns.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Doctor.
- Good knowledge of the common drugs/medications.
- Must develop knowledge and understanding of the common procedures, illnesses and treatments performed at CWVS.
- Ensures supply inventory is sufficient and the work area is kept clean and organized.
- Responsible for providing guidance and delegating appropriate tasks to Patient Care Assistants on shift
- Help facilitate a positive work environment.
- Participates in offered in house CE
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- Ability to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
Candidate must be available to work rotational shifts which may require working on weekends, nights, & overnights.
Interested applicants please submit resume to (Sandy Sun, HR Generalist) ssun (at) canadawestvets (dot) com