We aim to offer you the best care for your pet and then let you decide what is best for your pet and for your family. To provide the best possible care, we use the same state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment used in human medicine (MRI, Spiral CT scans), and a digital radiology system to improve our imaging abilities and shorten anesthesia time. All anaesthetized patients are monitored using the same multi-parameter monitoring machines used in human hospitals (ECG, end-tidal CO2, pulse oximetry, temperature and indirect blood pressure measurement).

These are some of the reasons that specialized veterinary care can be so expensive. Our clinicians will discuss your pet’s problem and the possible options open to you. After the consultation, we will provide you with estimates for these various diagnostic and treatment options.

If you decide to proceed with any of these options then we request that you leave a deposit of 75% of the estimate. You will be asked to pay the remaining 25% upon discharge of your pet. We offer a variety of payment options including all major credit cards, (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) Debit Cards and cash.

Our Client Services Representative will update you on your costs daily or whenever you request this. Should unforeseen complications arise or should additional care be required that has not been estimated, the Client Service Representative will ask you to keep your deposit at 75% of the total invoice.

At Canada West Veterinary Specialists, we strive to keep our costs down and remain within the estimate that you are given. However, every pet is an individual: sometimes, this may not be possible. You should expect clear communication from your Doctor or their staff if we anticipate any change(s) from the original.

Additional Payment Options


Because we know that some problems can be totally unexpected, we also offer the use of Medicard. Visit the Medicard website to fill out an application and see if you qualify; this may allow you to finance 100% of your pet’s care.


You can also apply for financing through PayBright. Click here to fill out your application.

Contact Us

1988 Kootenay Street, Vancouver, B.C. V5M 4Y3
T: 604.473.4882 | F: 604.473.4898

We are located in Greater Vancouver beside the Trans Canada Highway (Highway 1) — one block south of the 1st Avenue exit (EXIT 27) from Highway 1


Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

For media seeking comments or interviews, please complete the form below
Media Inquiries Form

Monday to Tuesday: 7am – 11pm
Wednesday to Fridat: 7am – 11:30pm
Saturday: 8am – 11:30pm
Sundays/Holidays: 8am – 11pm

Call Us


We are always on the lookout for veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, veterinarians and board certified specialists.

Check our list of open positions.